Eggcorn: *flea market* > *flee market*

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 6 01:20:06 UTC 2008

Can we be sure this isn't just people spelling
the insect name as "flee"?  For such speakers, or
rather writers, it's not really an eggcorn, just
a misspelling, since no semantic reanalysis would
be involved, anymore than with "flee medicine"
(1050 ghits), "flees and ticks" (657), "lots of
flees" (794) and so on. A flee market would be
so-called because it has lots of flees.

Or maybe "flee market" isn't perceived as being
related to either fleas or fleeing.  There are
3650 ghits for "flee flicker", the tricky but
elegant pass play in football that shows up on a
lot of web-posted videos.  64,300 for "flea
flicker", but this may be a similar ratio to what
we find in the other cases.  It's pretty opaque
on either reading.

LH