"in which... with" = "with whom"

Fri Mar 7 01:15:59 UTC 2008

On Mar 6, 2008, at 3:07 PM, Jon Lighter wrote:

> This writer appears to be at least as literate as the second-term
> freshmen and second-year graduate students who, twenty-five years
> ago plus, taught me about "inwhich."  This is even scarier:
>
> ... Also present at the camp is an escaped prisoner named Maria in
> which Robert falls in love with.

maybe the studentism of introductory "inwhich", but maybe redundant
prepositions (as discussed in several postings by, mostly, Mark
Liberman on Language Log) -- things like "some issues to which this
newspaper often propagates on".  most of the data mark discusses
involve true doubled Ps -- the same P occurs both fronted and stranded
-- but some have different Ps fronted and stranded.  my feeling is
that these are two different phenomena.  (the doublings are very old
-- examples in texts going back millennia.)

arnold