WOTY (UNCLASSIFIED)

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Mar 7 17:47:01 UTC 2008

Where I grew up Louisville KY) , stroking, a reference to vigorous
"in and out," was a transparent and frequently used metaphor for male
sexual activity.

When I got older and heard the funny-clad guys in silly little boats
have "stroke," "stroke," etc... yelled at them, you can imagine I
found it more than  comic.

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
>Subject:      Re: WOTY (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
>Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE
>
>Jelly Roll Morton had "Strokin Away" ca. 1930.  I can't find lyric
>online -- does anyone know if it has the same sense?

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English
Morrill Hall 15-C