Strokin' (Was: Re: WOTY)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 10 14:37:49 UTC 2008

At 9:21 AM -0400 3/10/08, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Is it a song by Clarence Carter that contains the verse:
>
>"Watch me do my stroke one time:
>"Unh!
>"Watch me do my stroke two times:
>"Unh! Unh!
>"Watch me do my stroke three times:
>"Unh! Unh! Unh!
>"Different strokes
>"For different folks"
>
>That's the first and only recorded version that I've actually heard
>with my own ears. I've always assumed that it referred to sex. But,
>that's only my assumption and I'm not interested in arguing the point.
>In ordinary speech, the phrase is/was? clipped to "Different strokes."
>
>Re: "stroke books"; *that's what the person that I heard say the phrase
>used them for.*
>
>-Wilson  [+ emphasis mine--LH]

Wow--a double center embedding in the flesh, au naturel!  Now
whenever I hear anyone referring to stroke books, I'll be thinking of
center embedding.*  Talk about different strokes for different folks!

LH

*on which there's now a nice little wiki-stub:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_embedding.  I've actually read
that novel _The Embedding_ cited there, and can even sort of
recommend it.