Retarded

David Donnell David.Donnell at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Mar 10 18:13:12 UTC 2008

I worked with "the [mentally] retarded" for some years, in a past life...

A co-worker, a Kentucky native, once told me his brother referred to
them as "retreads".

Myself, I use "retarded" as a pejorative term far too much. Ex: the
other day, in my impatience, I was trying to pass a guy on the
sidewalk and thought, "What are you, retarded?" I had a sudden twinge
of guilt imagining that the person might actually have been,
technically, retarded... I tend to see my own use of that word as a
character flaw in myself.

Alas, I'm also partial to "fucktard".

The most recent official terminology I knew for the mentally
retarded, from the mid-90s, was "M.R./D.D.", short for "mentally
retarded/developmentally disabled". And I think the trend was towards
just "D.D." or "developmentally disabled"... unfortunate since (a)
less specific and (b) more difficult for retarded folks themselves to
pronounce.

DD
Missourian @ NYC