coffin pronunciation

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Fri Mar 14 15:42:33 UTC 2008

I have a tin ear, but I was noticing something similar in my pron.
also. I was using "Put him in his coffin" and "I was coughin' up a
storm." I'm wondering if I was stressing the final -in syllable
differently in both: I think I'm giving the "coughin'" a secondary
stress on that final syllable, but leaving that syllable unstressed
in "coffin." That might be changing the quality of the /f/ in the
words. However, that doesn't address the quality of the vowel, which
I think is the same in my pron.

---Amy West (upstate NY/CT/MA)