a case ???

Sat Mar 15 08:51:52 UTC 2008

Some possibilities that come to mind are "write off" (some sort of
nineteenth century accounting jargon essentially means "a loss"),
"case for the police" and "case for the in-house scam books" where the
pawn shop keeps a log of such incidents or people. Another is crazy (a
case for the looney bins?). A final possibility is that "case" is
jargon for a certain type of container that is associated with a loss,
such as a box full of stones that sinks.

Probably far-fetched speculation, in the hopes that something rings a
bell with someone.

HTH
Benjamin Barrett
a cyberbreath for language life