coffin pronunciation

Sun Mar 16 05:37:18 UTC 2008

Tom,
if it's a phoneme, you should have a minimal pair, or some kind of
contrast with other nearby vowels in the SAME PHONETIC ENVIRONMENT.
If this is a rhotic accent you're describing (and your other postings
tell me that), and your sound in this set of words occurs only
before /r/, then it's an allophone, because, according to you, your
"awe" (open o) and "oh" (closed o) don't occur before /r/.  And a lot
of dialects--that of my Michigan students, for one--have phonetic
values similar to what you describe (more true for their vowel in
there, air, which does seem to be between [E] and [e], than their
~or, which sounds like a plain old open o to me; it still isn't their
vowel in awe, law, caught, which is turned a or something similar).
The question is: what are these sounds allophones of and that is
tricky.  My students PERCEIVE these vowels as being  [o  e], even if
they're as much as one step lower.  But I perceive my ~or--and I'm
rhotic too--as being an allophone of my vowel in caught, not in coat,
even though it may be no higher than my students' sound. and yet, my
~air, I perceive as part of the /e/ phoneme too (though I have Mary
and merry as identical).  This is a classic case of phonemic
neutralization in either dialect, and some old-fashioned phonological
theories would postulate something called an archiphoneme here
(saying, in effect, it's not an /O/ and it's not an /o/, it's both at
the same time).  In a pinch, I'd probably assign on the basis of
native speaker perception, if there was no patterning in the system
suggesting otherwise.  But it's not a phoneme in its own right in
rhotic dialects, anyhow.

Paul Johnston