Second Amendment grammar -- the Framers parsed it one way, but will the Supreme Court agree with their analysis? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Mar 19 14:22:32 UTC 2008

As you say, "at least legally".  When in the Nat'l
Guard, I had no delusions as to where the money came
from and who pulled the strings.  But then, I was in
an artillery battery; our state's Nat'l Guard MP
battalion was probably a lot more serviceable to the
Governor.

--- Dave Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET> wrote:

> No, exactly the opposite is the case, at least
> legally. The US Constitution,
> Article I, Section 8 states, in part, that the US
> Congress has the power to:
>
> "To provide for calling forth the militia to execute
> the laws of the union,
> suppress insurrections and repel invasions;
>
> "To provide for organizing, arming, and
> disciplining, the militia, and for
> governing such part of them as may be employed in
> the service of the United
> States, reserving to the states respectively, the
> appointment of the
> officers, and the authority of training the militia
> according to the
> discipline prescribed by Congress".
>
> The commanders in chief of the National Guard are
> the governors of the
> separate states and it is only under limited
> circumstances that they are
> called up for federal duty. States are also able to
> create their own defense
> forces that are not subject to federal duty; I don't
> think any state's
> currently do this, but I can't say for sure.

=== message truncated ===

                               |or slowly and cautiously.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?