Query: the expression "hands down"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Mar 22 04:30:18 UTC 2008

Sam Clements wrote:
> OED, 1867.
> h. hands down: with ease, with little or no effort; unconditionally,
> submissively; orig. in the racing phr. to win hands down, referring to
> the
> jockey dropping his hands, and so relaxing his hold on the reins, when
> victory appears certain.
>
> Sam Clements

One can also win "in a walk" ... or "in a canter" ... or "in a walk,
hands down" ... or "in a canter, hands down": examples of the last:

[1862]

http://books.google.com/books?id=UDVKAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA247&dq=%22canter+hands+down%22&lr=&as_brr=3

[1873]

http://books.google.com/books?id=RkUFAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA230&dq=%22canter+hands+down%22&lr=&as_brr=3

[1881]

http://books.google.com/books?id=qwUCAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA347&dq=%22canter+hands+down%22&lr=&as_brr=3

[1887]

http://books.google.com/books?id=TUIFAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA43&dq=%22canter+hands+down%22&lr=&as_brr=3

The inept (IMHO) alternative "lose hands down" is more recent; there is
even the occasional "lose in a canter".

-- Doug Wilson