"Foilage" revisited (art imitates ADS-L)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 22 23:59:07 UTC 2008

A week after our discussion of the possible eggcorn status of
"foilage", I came across its use as a plot element in a new novel
(_How to talk to a widower_, by Jonathan Tropper).
[No spoiler alert needed, since this is from p. 12, and beside the
title sort of gives it away.]
=========
My Hailey was underground,...just past the reservoir, a half-mile
from the Sprain Brook Parkway, where we used to drive in the autumn
to see the leaves change colors.  Hailey jokingly called it
"foilage", and that became our own little word for it. And now she
was underground and I knew I would always think of it as foilage and
autumn would always hurt, and I'd probably have to move out west,
someplace where they fewer seasons.
=========

The author, and characters, are from Westchester County, N.Y.

LH