American accent test

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Mon Mar 24 14:47:06 UTC 2008

Wilson,

Labov is particularly impressed by the fronting
of the onset of the /aU/ diphthong in
Philadelphia, a feature he notes as distinctly
Southern.

You will also be interested in knowing (if you
don't already) that Labov took a Black speaker's
sentence with the word "house" in it and
resynthesized it so that the onset was not at /a/
but at /ae/. When he played both versions for
Philadelphians (black and white), they
overwhelmingly said that the /ae/ version was
spoken by a white speaker (although the rest of
the sentence had characteristically AAVE
features).

dInIs