American accent test

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 25 03:48:26 UTC 2008

You no doubt remember the competing comic strip, _The Captain and The
Kids_. I'd always considered The Kj Kids to be the original, but, I
read somewhere, The C and TK is the original. Then there was _Bringing
Up Father_ and _Jiggs and Maggie_. A comic-book-collector colleague
told me that _Captain Marvel_ was put out of business by _Superman_ on
copyright issues. What copyright issues? Well, you never know.

-Wilson

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Dennis Preston <preston at msu.edu> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       Dennis Preston <preston at MSU.EDU>
>  Subject:      Re: American accent test
>
>  Wilson,
>
>  Good to hear from one of the Katzenjammer Kids. By the way,
>  Katzenjammer was shortened to just "Katz" where it came to mean (not
>  surprisingly) "hangover" in western Polish.
>
>  dInIs (Aj! Mam katz!)
>

>  >---------------------- Information from the mail header
>  >-----------------------
>  >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  >Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>  >Subject:      Re: American accent test
>  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  >
>  >Well, I hope that it was a while ago, dInIs. Back in 1972, Halle had
>  >already declared in classroom lectures at the 'Tute that SPE was
>  >wrong, to the extent that the old standard, /aU/, had evolved to a new
>  >standard, /aeU/. Of course, he could have been unduly  - and wrongly?
>  >- influenced by Chomsky's dialect. :-)
>  >
>  >Well, not, I guess. The pronunciation [laeUd] is now so common even
>  >among younger black speakers that I tend to stutter when saying
>  >[laUd]. And they also eat cheeseburgers. As many here no doubt recall,
>  >when I was in the Army in the 'Fifties, the eating of cheeseburgers -
>  >in fact, any combination of meat with cheese - by blacks was so alien
>  >that "cheeseburger" was the "standard," non-derogatory slang term for
>  >"white GI." We referred to ourselves as "hamburgers," of course.
>  >
>  >BTW, speaking of the military, there was a version of "stop-loss" in
>  >those days, too. [The Army sucks!] It was called "extension." Any
>  >soldier on active duty could be retained by being "extended" and, as
>  >today, members of the Reserves on active duty could be retained and
>  >reservists not on active duty could be called up, individually, if
>  >necessary. It was weird, because a GI could be a "slicksleeve" on
>  >active duty, but, e.g., a captain in the Reserves. So, if he or his
>  >Reserve unit was "activated," he would go overnight from buck private
>  >to commissioned officer.
>  >
>  >-Wilson
>  >
>  >So, what are these Iraq pussies whining about? We had it tough in the
>  >"Outpost of Freedom," too. For those who no longer remember, the
>  >"Outpost of Freedom" was West Berlin.
>  >
>  >But, seriously, folks, nobody was getting killed, in those days. No
>  >Americans, anyway. We mainly just got drunk at the EM club and in the
>  >GI bars. If we were working the "mid," or graveyard, shift, we'd often
>  >go on duty drunk. The one German word that everyone knew was
>  >"Katzenjammer," or "hangover."
>  >
> [...]

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens