"bromance"

Thu Mar 27 12:51:33 UTC 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 23:27, Laurence Horn wrote:
> When I was trying to think of other blends/portmanteaux we've
> discussed here that combine the 'man' with a stem, or possibly a
> 'bro-' as in the current case, or (I'm sure there are a bunch of
> these) just an initial 'm-', all I could remember was "manzeer"
> (a.k.a. "bro", for a male brassiere, from the Seinfeld episode).
> [...]Can anyone help
> fill in my blank?

For those with "man" as the stem, see Among The New Words, Glowka et
al., American Speech, vol. 82 (2007), no. 3, p. 284.

For those with "bro" as the stem, see this CanWest article by Misty
Harris:

<http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/story.html?id=785c57cd-bb06-4bfb-8e1b-18fbecd18a4c&k=98484

The book she mentions there, "Brocabulary: The New Man-i-festo of Dude
Talk," by Daniel Maurer, is due out in October. From what I've seen,
it will be the usual wacky word book chock full of sniglets and
absurdities and will come nowhere near making back what is reported to
be a ridiculously large advance.

http://www.amazon.com/Brocabulary-New-Man-i-festo-Dude-Talk/

My web site has cites for both man and bro forms:

http://dtww.org/index.php/citations/bro_hawk_1
http://dtww.org/index.php/citations/bro_job_1
http://dtww.org/index.php/citations/bromance_1
http://dtww.org/index.php/citations/bro_ing_out_1