"bromance"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 27 22:48:54 UTC 2008

At 5:21 PM -0400 3/27/08, Mark Mandel wrote:
>Much older than either: "male nurse".
>
>m a m

Not the same kind of marking reversal as in

Stage 1:  masseur

Stage 2:  masseur (unmarked)/masseuse (marked)

Stage 3:  masseuse

Stage 4:  masseuse (unmarked)/male masseuse (marked)

If someday there's such a disproportionate number of female doctors
or lawyers that we distinguish "doctor"/"lawyer" (presumptively
female) vs. "male doctor"/"male lawyer", that would constitute a
similar marking reversal.  There's a nice paper describing just such
a cultural shift in nomenclature for sheep and deer in Tenejapa
Tzeltal --

Witkowski, S. R. & C. H. Brown (1983) "Marking-reversals and cultural
importance", _Language_  59: 569-82.

--of this kind, where originally they had deer (before sheep were
introduced) and called them "cih".  We get:

Stage 1   cih   'deer'
Stage 2   cih   'deer'/ tunim cih 'sheep' [lit., 'cotton cih']
Stage 3   cih   'sheep'/ te?tikil cih 'deer' [lit., 'wild cih']

LH