Questions put in the negative

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Mar 28 03:10:12 UTC 2008

Wilson, if I had asked you just "You don't carry the 8-ounce packages
any more?" (rising inflection, to make it a question) and I answered
"yes" (both speaking English as best we can), what would you take my
"yes" to mean?

I -- perhaps being strange -- took it, when supplemented by the "do
you?", to mean he agreed with me.  What surprised me about myself, in
retrospect, is that I didn't pause to think it over.

Joel