Dittlers and dits

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Mar 28 11:18:40 UTC 2008

By the time you get to "tiddly," you are creeping up on US
"diddley-(squat, shit)" = "worthless, meaningless, next to nothing,"
perhaps from a size association. (That ain't worth diddley. I don't
give a diddley.), but DARE does not show any regional distribution
for it, although it shows "doodley-(squat, shit)" as chiefly South
and South Midland. When I say "doodley" here in Michigan (Your
dissertation ain't worth doodley"), my local students always correct
me to "diddley." (Course, it don't make their dissertations worth no
more.)

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Lynne Murphy <m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK>
>Subject:      Re: Dittlers and dits
>
>This looks like it could be related to Scots (and perhaps more general
>northern) English _tiddler_, which means a small fish--presumably one you'd
>throw back if you caught it (maybe it says this in DARE, but my copy's at
>the office, and I'm not).  From this comes the BrE dialectal adjective
>_tiddly_ meaning small, which I found is applied a lot to premature babies,
>as is _diddy_, which is northern BrE, and again looks like your word...
>
>These words were mentioned on my blog here:
>http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2008/01/baby-talk-introducing-grover.html
>
>Are they're related or is there some sound symbolism at work here?  I've
>heard "/I/ = 'small'", but not "alveolar stop = 'small'".  Or are they all
>coincidental baby-talkish variations on _little_?
>
>Lynne
>
>--On Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:53 am -0400 "Baker, John"
><JMB at STRADLEY.COM> wrote:
>
>>          Not known to me from growing up and raising chickens in Adair
>>  County, Kentucky, two counties northwest of Wayne County.
>>

>>  John Baker

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English