"thing/think" [was: on the eggcorn beat]

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu May 1 14:41:29 UTC 2008

Same here. And that "thing" could be verbal persuasion, physical
aggression/intimidation (big brother to little sister: "if you think
you're going to play with my models, you've got another thing
coming"), unpleasant/unwanted results, etc. The lack of parallelism
in the "think...thing" construction really never struck me until
there was a poll about "another thing/think" in the M-W office, and
that's when I became aware of the preference for "another think." So,
I was actually much older than you, JL, when I was clued in.

---Amy West