"thing/think" [was: on the eggcorn beat]

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Fri May 2 14:03:53 UTC 2008

I read the "another thing" as [concrete experience] in the phrase.

I'm intrigued by it being attested in Syracuse: we spent 7 years in
Buffalo, during formative years.

But, I also have a tin ear, and it could simply come from mishearing
one velar for another, and then rationalizing it with the above
gloss. But again, you'd think (har, har) that parallelism would  lead
me (and other speakers) to realize it should be /k/ not /g/.

I've come to terms with it being part of my idiolect.

---Amy West