'word' words

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Fri May 2 14:15:55 UTC 2008

I realized yesterday that "hissy fit" is one of those word-word pairs.

Now, I've seen a quote from F.M. Kelly (armor historian) dismissing
the 19th c. term "chain mail" (which could be one of those word-word
pairs) as a "neoplasm". (I've seen the quote in the .sig of someone
on the Mediev-L list.) [His explanation for calling it a "neoplasm"
is that both parts of the term mean/refer to the same thing.][He
labels "scale mail" and "plate mail" as ridiculous non-sensical
terms.]

---Amy West