the long vowels as monophthongs

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 4 02:11:09 UTC 2008

Mr. Zurinskas has been peddling his wacko ideas for at least twenty years
and is proud of his ignorance -- or, as I suppose he thinks of it, his
refusal to compromise his God-given instinct by listening to anyone who
knows anything about the subject. Nothing we say will sway such deep-rooted
obtuseness. Save your breath, save your fingertips, save your electrons,
time, and energy and put him on your kill list.

Of course, that won't help if you get the digest version. That was my single
most compelling reason for switching my subscription.

Mark A. Mandel

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

> Those are what are referred to as diphthongs. BB
>
> On May 3, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      the long vowels as monophthongs

> > The long vowels as one sound - monophthongs.  Go to the the link
> > below.  I express the long vowels as I say them, and as I believe is
> > the majority form in USA.  They are monophthongs to me.  Click on
> > the play arrow twice to hear play.  If you can identify the phoneme
> > in one sound, it's a monophthong.
> >
> > http://www.qlipmedia.com/wqb/index.php?discid=bed59983

Mark Mandel