the long vowels as monophthongs

Sun May 4 15:42:45 UTC 2008

I have stopped reading Mr. Truespell's  postings, but if I remember correctly he argues (faced with obvious spwcrographic evidence)  that the "long" vowels are "pure"--they are just always followed by offglides.

That is, he is merely using a somewhat idiosyncratic definition of "diphthong" in which a "diphthong" must require back-to-front, or front-to-back, and/or low-to-high movement. Thus /iy/, /ow/, etc. are not "true" diphthongs, but /oy/, /aw/, and /ay/ are. Another way of looking at it is to say that diphthongs must be "phonemic," not phonetic.

If I'm right about this, then this is only a trivial argument about terminology--everybody agrees about the underlying reality.

Or truespel may even have a small point with respect to psychological reality, since the long-vowel offglides are (as Ben notes) unconscious for native speakers, whereas the "true" diphthongs are functional.

In many respects all this mirrors phonoogical-theoretical controversies from the 1950s concerning allophones, phonemes, and "psychological reality"--which all seemed pretty trivial by about 1970.

-----Original Message-----
From: Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>

Date:         Sat, 3 May 2008 19:46:49
To:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] the long vowels as monophthongs

I don't follow all of his threads, but this seems to be the absolutely
clearest example that he can be given of what a diphthong is.

Because of the nature of English, native speakers are prone to hearing
certain diphthongs as monophthongal (just as the "t" in prince and
princess is nearly unrecognizable).

I do hope that others will chime in on this as I think it has the best
chance of getting through to him.

If it doesn't, his e-mail doesn't just go on my kill list, I'll
register it to my server for deletion so it's not even relayed to me. BB