"scrimshander" -- new meaning, or misuse? (Or perhaps obsession)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun May 11 00:26:52 UTC 2008

At 4:37 PM -0700 5/10/08, G. Stella wrote:
>I've just been a lurker ever since I joined this list,
>but I'll speak up for once. I live in Barnstable, MA,
>and I've heard the term 'scrimshander' often enough.
>In my experience, it's the correct term for a
>scrimshaw artist. It's used by local heritage museums
>and members of the local arts community.
>
>I've never to my knowledge heard 'scrimshoner'.
>
>Gynn Silva

The problem seems to be the OED's and not the Globe reporter's.
There are (to invoke my usual highly developed research skills)
17,200 g-hits for "scrimshander" to 111 for "scrimshoner".

LH