"the" before country name

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue May 13 12:24:35 UTC 2008

I heard "the Dominican" at least 10 years ago, from a non-Hispanic
administrative assistant in the deans' office at Northeastern
University.  (Certainly part of the Red Sox -- and Patriot nation --
their students regularly riot after championship games, win or lose.)

I thought then, and still do, that it's the speaker's way of
distinguishing (and a short form for) the Dominican Republic from
Dominica, AKA the Commonwealth of Dominica.  (Wikipedia is
helpful:  it says for each "not to be confused with" the other.)

Apparently people from both the Commonwealth and the Republic are
called "Dominicans"; Wikipedia has "Demonym Dominican" for both.  But
that's the people, not the country.

Joel