Heard on The Judges: "over GEOGRAPHICAL LOC"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed May 14 19:35:49 UTC 2008

It seems like a short grammatical step from "over yonder" or "over there" to "over <locative:> home." Still, "over Jordan" isn't quite parallel with "over home": that is, "over" 'across' vs. "over" 'to'. I've always found curious that pair of lines in the old song.

--Charlie