ADS-L Digest - 13 May 2008 to 14 May 2008 (#2008-136)

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Thu May 15 18:21:16 UTC 2008

JL wrote:

  Seems the girl sold 17,328 boxes of cookies. Astounding, but not
appalling.

  On the other hand, her methods of persuasion went unexplained....
Back in the Pleistocene when I was a scout for a year, we were expected to
do our own selling, either door-to-door  or by putting in a stint at the
cookie booth in a downtown department store.  Nowadays, it is apparently
okay or maybe encouraged to recruit sales staff : getting mom & pop to push
cookies on their colleagues, e.g.   Perhaps this is seen as promoting the
entrepreneurial spirit.  Not appalling, perhaps, but hardly lovable.
AM