intend(s) use

Sat May 17 14:31:43 UTC 2008

On May 16, 2008, at 10:17 PM, Randy Alexander wrote:

> I've never seen "intend" as a catenative verb with a bare
> infinitival before:
>
> Angelina must believe the perfumer intends use the name Shiloh...

somewhere i have a (paper) file of these from long ago.  plus a file
of "try" + BaseVP examples (these are fairly common).

some might be from non-native speakers, but a number pretty clearly
are not.  some are probably slips, but at least for the "try" examples
you can find people who judge them to be just fine.

another set of "missing TO" cases are pretty clearly analogical in
their origin: allow/permit + NP + BaseVP ("allow them go to seed" --
analogy to "let"), force + NP + BaseVP ("forced them go public" --
analogy to "make"/"have').

arnold