ADS-L Digest - 15 May 2008 to 16 May 2008 (#2008-138)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 17 23:01:13 UTC 2008

In Georgia, perhaps, but not in Texas, where "I" is a front vowel and
not a back vowel.

Little-known fact: the late Massachusetts senator, Edward Brooke, a
native of Virginia, once shilled for a local radio station, WROR. He
referred to it as,

"Dubya-Aahra-Oh-Aahra."

-Wilson

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Doug Harris <cats22 at frontiernet.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Doug Harris <cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET>
> Subject:      Re: ADS-L Digest - 15 May 2008 to 16 May 2008 (#2008-138)
>
> Just a wild guess, but maybe because R that way would sound too much
> like I as you've described it.
> dh
> --
>
> I wonder why it is that "r" is pronounced "aahra" and not "aah"?
>
> -Wilson

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens