"Oil as spiritous drink?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 19 23:04:05 UTC 2008

Yes, it was old Oil Can Boyd.

Back in the day, there was a strange character that we often had to
deal with at Circ. When a new Head of Circ took over, I told her that
she should be sure to watch FoxTV on a particular night at a
particular time, because a movie of this guy's life was going to be
shown.

The movie was, of course, "The Brother From Another Planet."

-Wilson

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Mark Mandel <thnidu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "Oil as spiritous drink?
>
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The Red Sox once had a pitcher known to the bruthaz - and to everyone
>> else, really - as "Oil Can," because of his propensity for getting
>> oiled. The drinking, which moved a black newspaper to refer to him as
>> "The Brother From Another Planet" as a consequence of his drunken
>> antics on the mound, eventually destroyed his career.
>
> Was that before or after the movie (released 1984:
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087004/)?
>
> ... Oh, never mind, I see there was perfect overlap, assuming this was
> Oil Can Boyd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_Can_Boyd,
> http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/boydoi01.shtml): Debut September
> 13, 1982; Final Game October 1, 1991.
>
> m a m