LGBTT2IQQA

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Thu May 22 00:49:51 UTC 2008

I just saw this mule-choker from a friend on Facebook -- the friend
(who has managed to thoroughly defeat the use of gender-specific
pronouns in reference to themself) is looking for other LGBTT2IQQA
alumni from York University.

So, OK, I think LGBT is pretty common. This rather longer initialism
seems to have much more limited currency. But a little digging has
uncovered that it seems to stand for "lesbian, gay, bisexual,
transgender, transsexual, 2-spirit, intersex, queer, questioning,
ally."

Oh, and 2-spirit? "Two-spirited" is current (in LGBT circles) in
Canada, but I'm not sure it's used in the US. It's from First Nations
(what we call American Indians in Canada) traditions. See
http://www.mcgill.ca/interaction/mission/twospirit/ for a cogent
description.

James Harbeck.