ADS-L Digest - 21 May 2008 to 22 May 2008 (#2008-144)

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Fri May 23 19:51:32 UTC 2008

on 5/23/08 12:21 PM, Tom Zurinskas at truespel at HOTMAIL.COM wrote:

> Actually, there's not a single instance in my truespel database where
> tradstreeng "oo" is pronounced as long o, or "oh" ~oe.
~~~~~~
What about "door"?
~~~~~~~~
> Interestingly, I find in my analysis of English (USA), that tradstreeng "oo"
> is more often pronounce as in "look" (~look) and "wood" (~wood) than any other
> sound, including long u as in "food" ~fued, and "soon", ~suen.
>
> Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL5+
Without knowing what is meant by "tradstreeng"  I nevertheless have to
notice: /boo, coo, foo, goo, hoo, loo, moo, poo, roo, too, woo/,  and many
another with following consonants. In fact, my unresearched assumption would
be that, faced with an unfamiliar word with "oo" in it the  "food" vowel
would be one's first choice.
AM