"stifled" 'stilted' and the reverse

Sat May 24 16:35:44 UTC 2008

Bruce Webster pointed me to a site where the verbing "on-boad" or
"onboard" was being discussed.  part-way in, a subthread about case
use for "than"+pronoun developed (grammar flames turn up everywhere!),
in which "stifled" 'stilted' appears:

That being said, many people have begun seeing "than" as a preposition
that takes the objective case rather than as a subordinating
conjunction, thus permitting such constructions as "...than me" even
when the subjective case would be formally appropriate. (In fact, such
constructions can be seen in writings that are centuries old, so this
is not a new phenomenon.) This is becoming so widespread in informal
speech and writing that use of the "proper" form can sound stifled.
   (comment by Robert Morris, 5/22/08, on http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2008/05/22/8530603.aspx
  )

not in Brians or the ecdb (it's not at all clear to me how to classify
this usage, except that it's unlikely to be a typo), nor do we seem to
have mentioned it on ADS-L.  a few examples i googled up:

Option A does not sound grammatically incorrect, however, it does
sound stifled to me.
   (comment by GenJen54, 11/1/05, on
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=63887 )
   (discussion about: