FW: Chopped Beef Sandwich (1881, New Haven)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Mon May 26 18:22:29 UTC 2008

With Barry's permission I'm  forwarding the message below to ads-l. Maybe someone here can shed light on its subject.

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: Bapopik at aol.com [mailto:Bapopik at aol.com]
Sent: Mon 5/26/2008 6:28 AM

I don't know what to make of this 1881 New Haven "chopped beef sandwich"--about a generation before the hamburger was invented in New Haven at Louis' Lunch (1900), of course.
..
19 July 1881, New Haven (CT) <i>Evening Register</i>, pg. 1:
They permitted this, and he astonished Crump, the steward, with an order for beefsteak, poached egg and a chopped beef sandwich.

                                                                #   #   #

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food <http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002> .