ADS-L Digest - 25 May 2008 to 26 May 2008 (#2008-148)

Your Name ROSESKES at AOL.COM
Tue May 27 04:45:54 UTC 2008

On May 24, 2008, at 7:01 AM, Larry Horn wrote:

> At 1:53 AM -0400  5/24/08, Your Name wrote:
>> 1919 _Syracuse (N.Y.) Herald_ 12 Aug. 8/3  If you think the life of  a
>> movie star is all sunshine and  flowers you've got another  thing
>>  coming.
>>
>> I grew up in Syracuse, NY; and the newspaper  there never got
>> *anything*
>>  right!
>>
>> Actually, right there in Syracuse and environs, I  often heard,
>> "You've got
>> another think coming."  I  never once heard
>
> My only question is how could you tell (for the  spoken version)? The
> vector for reanalysis would be that precise  construction, which could
> be heard either way.  Newspaper  renderings would be another story, of
> course.

How I could tell what I was hearing is: the last sound in "think" coincides
with the first sound in "coming."  So people ran the two together.  It  was
the type of sentence one tended to speak emphatically, making it even  clearer
that they were using the same sound.

If someone said "thing" followed by "coming," I would have heard two
separate sounds: G then K.

Rosemarie

One advantage to having a friend as  forgetful as I am: Your secrets are safe
with  me!

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.