Heard on The Judges: creeping blackenization?

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Wed May 28 12:51:07 UTC 2008

My mother used to say "here goes" many decades ago, as in "here goes
nothing", and I might to this day say "here/there goes" to mean "here/there
is", but not so baldly as your Cuban-American.  May be he is not so standard
a speaker.
Seán Fitzpatrick
----

The here/there usage has slightly baffled me (it's not an issue worth
getting TOO worked up about!) in the context of waitresses who say, when
delivering food (usually NOT when delivering drinks) either "here you go"
or "there you go". I've never been able to figure this out. Is it a
pessimist/optimist thing -- half started vs half finished with the meal --
or what? And why not "here you ARE" or "there you ARE"??
WTF?
dh