PPP "retrofit"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 6 03:34:59 UTC 2008

Quelle coincidence! I'm familiar with Prof. Zimbardo and some of his
work. He's written a book on shyness and how one might overcome it.
His method doesn't work for me, unfortunately. I'm too shy to use
it.:-(

So far, I haven't heard PPP _fit_, etc. OTOH, I first heard PPP _shit_
back in the 'Sixties. The phrase,"curse like a [member of a branch of
the armed forces]" is all too accurate. I've also heard the PPP
_shat_, possiby influenced by _sat_. I use _shitted_, myself.

When I first heard white GI's using the pasts, "shit" and "shat," I
thought that they were just joking or farting around. It wasn't until
I was browsing through the AHD about ten years later that I discovered
that these forms are as ordinary for some speakers as "shitted" is for
others.

-Wilson

-----
-Mark Twain