Query: "Let George do it"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Nov 9 22:07:41 UTC 2008

Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at MST.EDU>
> Subject:      Query:  "Let George do it"
>
> Yesterday I received a query about the expression "Let George do it."  Might anyone in ads-l have any insight into it?  Below my signoff is the query I received and my preliminary reply.
>
> G. Cohen
>
> ________________________________

-

I deny any expertise.

"George" as a conventional form of address to a Pullman porter is in
HDAS from 1939.

"Let George do it" was a comic-strip title dating from ca. 1910, as
somebody already pointed out. The comic does not seem to have involved a
porter.

Quick review of Google Books shows "Let George do it" becoming suddenly
fashionable in 1910: many instances from 1910, nothing before.

Either the expression came from the comic strip, or the comic strip was
named for a suddenly fashionable slogan which arose otherwise at about
that time.

In summary, to the best of my knowledge:

(1) "George" has been applied to Pullman porters;

(2) The expression "Let George do it" is not and was never generally
associated with Pullman porters; I know of no evidence that the phrase
origin had anything to do with Pullman porters (or with English kings
for that matter). [Of course anyone can make a combination, and say "Let
George do it" while humorously referring to the porter or to King George
or to George Burns or George Washington or whomever.] If there's any
evidence of a special connection, I'd like to see it!

-- Doug Wilson