senatorial saucer (1872)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 10 20:52:50 UTC 2008

As it happens, DARE has one white informant from Marshall, the county
seat of Harrison County, TX, but he apparently wasn't asked about
this. Or, perhaps, the custom survives (survived?) only among "country
folk," to use my late grandmother's disparaging term for rural black
people.

Of course, there's nothing inherently disparaging about the term,
"country folk." But, the way that my grandmother used it, she
definitely meant it as an insult.

-Wilson

-----
-Mark Twain