more on wrap rage

Sun Nov 16 23:23:13 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2008, at 9:07 AM, Ben Zimmer wrote:
>
> > ... In this OUPblog column I listed some more "rages" gleaned from the
> > Oxford English Corpus:
> >
> > http://blog.oup.com/2007/08/inner_blog/
>
> this adds
>
>   X = air, desk, parking, phone, spam, surf
>
> to the items in the OED entry (cited in my first "all the rage"
> posting).  of these six, half (parking, phone, surf) have not been
> discussed on ADS-L.
>
> McFedries's coining "rage rage" is cute.  (unfortunately, i can't open
> his "rage rage" page.)

Not his coinage, actually. I can't access any of the Wordspy pages
either right now, but this is from the Google cache:

----
rage rage n. Anger directed at people who commit acts of road rage,
air rage, and so on.

Example Citation:
"It is important that we are not drawn into the trap of believing that
conditions such as 'road rage', 'air rage' and now 'computer rage'
exist in their own right: they are merely buzz terms used to describe
bad behaviour for which the perpetrator must accept responsibility.

Any who seek to disagree with this view could of course argue that I
suffer from 'rage rage', a condition into which, sadly, I have no
insight."
—Luke Birmingham, "All the rage," The Times (London), June 11, 1999
----

--Ben Zimmer