More intrusive "of"

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Wed Nov 19 01:36:01 UTC 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 4:55 PM, Alison Murie wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Alison Murie <sagehen7470 at ATT.NET>
> Subject:      More intrusive "of"
>
> As an example of one of arnold's categories of "intrusive of",
> Robert Litt, former Justice dept prosecutor, under Clinton,
>> said at a Brookings Institution discussion about Obama's legal
>> policy: "To as great of an extent we can say, the last eight years
>> are over, now we can move forward - that would be beneficial both to
>> the country and the president, politically."

added to my files for of-EDM, though these things are almost too easy
to find.  nice to have an example from a more "elevated" context,
though (many of my students are categorical of-EDM users or very close
to it, so it's nearly hopeless to collect examples from their writing,
their blogs, the Stanford Daily, etc.  there are just too many.).

arnold