"cumberbund"

Thu Nov 20 01:11:26 UTC 2008

In a message dated 11/19/08 3:15:18 PM, zwicky at STANFORD.EDU writes:

> i think, but i'm not sure, that neither "cummerbund" nor "cumberbund"
> is in DARE, but perhaps someone who is  closer to a copy of the
> dictionary than i am right now could check.

DARE has both CUMMER and CUMBER as (seemingly rare) forms for 'pickled
cucumbers'. No CUMBERBUND or CUMMERBUND.

The only pronunciation of the term I've ever known is   with the B. Before
the highschool prom, my saucy aunt cautioned me to be sure to enunciate the B
clearly, lest people think I was being obscene.

One site has it
all. Your email accounts, your social networks, and the things you love. Try the
new AOL.com
today!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212962939x1200825291/aol?redir=http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp%26icid=aolcom40vanity%26ncid=emlc
ntaolcom00000001)