"cumberbund"

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 20 02:54:02 UTC 2008

At 2:17:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OfaYHD-uH0You can click "more info" in the
grey box in the upper right hand corner to see the lyrics.

Can we make the courthouse lawn event in late December or early January?
 That's something I really wouldn't want to miss.

: P

Randy

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 3:30 AM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "cumberbund"

> arnold, if you can find a random black person or a random Southerner
> of any race who doesn't say "cumberbund," I'll kiss your ass on the
> courthouse lawn and give you 45 minutes to draw a crowd. "Matlock" is
> set in the South, right? And Andy Griffith is from the South, right?
>
> You remind me of that GI from Darien, CT, who was stunned to hear a
> Southerner say, "Git _you_ a tray!"
>
> -Wilson
>
> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
> -----
> -Mark Twain
>

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu>
> wrote:
> -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU>
> > Subject:      "cumberbund"

> > caught this (spoken) in an episode of Matlock.
> >
> > not in OED, NOAD2, or AHD4 as a variant of "cummerbund".  is in
> > Merriam-Webster Online as a variant (without further comment).  the
> > two spellings are listed as variants (with "cumberbund" first) in Q&A
> > Times.
> >
> > but the Wiktionary just labels "cumberbund" as a misspelling of
> > "cummerbund".  Brians doesn't mention it.
> >
> > plenty of sites treat "cumberbund" as the spelling.
> >
> > arnold

Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China
My Manchu studies blog: