"cumberbund"

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 20 16:06:15 UTC 2008

I think I remember looking the word up in a dictionary upon seeing it as
"cummerbund" in print.  This was probably when I was in college, in the late
80s.  I was pretty surprised, as I imagined it as "cumberbund" and didn't
question it, never having heard anyone say it without the extra b.
Randy

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:50 PM, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "cumberbund"

> I expect one problem is that most of us academic listfolks, and most of the
> individuals we converse with regularly, don't typically have occasion to use
> the word (or don its referent) much.
>
> Until this present discussion, I myself (Texan/Georgian) would have
> pronounced--and spelled--the word as "cumberbun" (+b, -d).  However, if a
> student on a paper had spelled it some other way, I would have looked the
> word up in the dictionary.
>
> --Charlie

Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China