Antedating of "Money Shot" in Volokh Conspiracy

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Nov 20 18:19:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 07:10:01AM -0500, Shapiro, Fred wrote:

> Fascinating stuff.  I know that Eugene Volokh is very interested in etymology.  One of the postings, if accurate and not a joke, provides an antedating of OED:
>
> I can turn that one back to golf, too. Arnold Palmer's Golf Book, 1961:
> "In low-scoring, high-money tournaments, your drive becomes the money shot."

Here's an antedating of this, from NPA, also in a golf
context:

1928 _Dunkirk (N.Y.) Evening Observer_ 6 Aug. 15/2 Bobby Jones
admits he gets scared when he has to make a money shot.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED