"cumberbund"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Nov 20 19:00:42 UTC 2008

And Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>in any case, i asked two friends (both ca. 50, both white) about the
>word at lunch yesterday -- by describing the object and asking what
>they called it.
>
>one (a woman who grew up in maine) offered "cummerbund", the other (a
>man who grew up in bethlehem, pa.) offered "cumberbund".  each was
>surprised at the other's variant.

As we all know, there is New York and New England, and all else is
simply west of the Hudson.*  (See the New Yorker map, if I have the
right citation.)

* Except, apparently, for Neal Whitman's -- but not Charles Doyle's
-- Georgia and Texas localities.

Joel

P.S.  Talking about cummerbunds seems almost as popular here as
talking about Jane Austin is on the 18th-century list.