Webster's New World College Dictionary an nounces its word-of-the-year candidates

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 21 20:30:16 UTC 2008

At 11:33 AM -0500 11/21/08, Alison Murie wrote:
>On Nov 21, 2008, at 10:36 AM, Grant Barrett wrote:

>>-----------------------
>>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>Poster:       Grant Barrett <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG>
>>Subject:      =?WINDOWS-1252?Q?
>>Webster=92s_New_World_College_Dictionary_announ?
>>              = =?WINDOWS-1252?Q?ces_its_word-of-the-year_candidates?=
>>
>>Webster’s New World College Dictionary has announced its top five
>>words of the year candidates. Odd choices from WNW, as usual.
>~~~~~~~~~~
>Odd, indeed. As an ADS-L bystander, I can't nominate, but I would
>be surprised if "bailout" & "locavore" didn't appear somewhere in the
>list under consideration for WOTY.
>AM

Locavore did have its shot last year.  I may have
even been the nominator, although perhaps not,
but it didn't make it over the top and I think
its moment in the sun may have passed.
Unfortunately (but fortunately for its
candidacy), the same can't be said of "bailout"
and its family of related words.

LH