Heard on The Judges: "gank"

Katharine The Grate katharinethegrate at COMCAST.NET
Sat Nov 22 07:45:34 UTC 2008

"GANK", In the gaming community means when you kill an opponent using
stealth and trickery, often an opponent who is much weaker than you
or has far less skill than you do.
It's often used in a phrase like "it was a total gank war" when
people are killing each other randomly with out much reason to it.
They say "he ganked me" or "he's a ganker" or (my son's favorite) "it
was a total gank-fest".

Katharine in N. California (Yay, finally I can add something)

> On many of my friends' blogs I see memes, quotations, links, &c.
> credited as "ganked from so-and-so".
> (Sent from my PDA)
>
> On 11/21/08, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>> A. Marlice, a thirty-ish, black female speaker from Saginaw, MI:
>>
>> "She the _gank_-master, your honor."
>>
>> Judge Karen:
>>
>> 'What's a 'gank'"
>>
>> A.
>>
>> "That's a con, your honor."
>>
>> B. Nicole, a thirty-ish, black female speaker from Saginaw, MI:
>>
>> "That's not true, your honor! She's _an habitual_ liar!"
>>
>> [ ... ]
>>
>> Judge Karen:
>>
>> "I think you trying to _gank_ me, Coco [= B]."
>>

>> "Gank" has many attestations - I stopped at the 21st - in the Urban
>> Dictionary, primarily with the meanings, "kill; rob," with a claimed
>> origin in "gang kill." But I may well have found the simple "con"
>> meaning, had I kept looking.
>>
>> -Wilson
>>

> Mark Mandel

******
There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.