useless information of the day

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Tue Nov 25 18:34:30 UTC 2008

Doug Harris wrote:

> It would surprise me if _anything_ was (or were) similar to "retconning".
> I can't even imagine what that might mean!

Retroactive continuity.  In written science fiction, one example is
Larry Niven's "Known Space" future history.  Niven took for granted that
herbivores are naturally noncombative, and carnivores are naturally
combative no matter what the odds against them might be.  He had a
naturally combative species of intelligent carnivores, and a naturally
noncombative species of intelligent herbivores.

The retcon:  In both species, this is now (and has always been) the
product of misguided eugenics.

Then there's the pesky matter of future history backgrounds whose
authors somewhat overestimated the longevity of the Soviet Union.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."