"long from" for "far from"

Alison Murie sagehen7470 at ATT.NET
Sun Nov 30 00:11:15 UTC 2008

Quoted in an ad for /The Truth of Power/ from the blurb: "Barber
believes, against the grain of conventional wisdom, that
  Clinton 'is a man   whose democratic career is long from over.'"
I don't think I've ever encountered this one before.

Going back to the "in line/on line" discussion (I somehow managed to
lose arnold's post): my experience is the same as arnold's
correspondent: only became aware of "on line" in the wild in UK or in
UK books, and later began to relate it to NYC speech.
AM