Preposition deletion

Sun Nov 30 17:40:31 UTC 2008

I seem to remember that this is discussed in DARE, and there are probably
notes about regional variation in preposition usage in early issues of AMERICAN
SPEECH.

The two sentences that you cite are not simple examples of preposition
"deletion", however, at leassdt as youi have phrased them. In both cases, a whole
prepositional phrase is deleted (in the second, a PP + the following Prep),
though probably it would be more accurate to say that what is deleted is the
preposition "into"

"let's go across the park" = let's go across into to the park

"let's go down the basement" = let's go down into the basement

I've used the second (where "down" = "down into") all my life, but the first
soiunds alien to me.